Wednesday, July 08, 2009

I had to write this down to remember it

I just started playing softball in April for the first time, thanks to my baseball playing roommate, Adam. He had some background playing for school and trying out for the Diamondbacks. I would have never thought of playing, but the thought of it sounded good. It was very hard to get people to play volleyball, let alone tennis, so since there was a softball thing going on I thought, "What could it hurt to try it?"

I think I have come a long way since April. I would have to say I am glad I am a coachable person and I have learned a lot from the people on the team and around the field. Some of my teammates have played in high school, some have coached teams, others have had little experience and wanted to try something different. I used to bat poorly, but I have learned some tricks on the way and I hardly ever strike out. No one wears protection on the field (and this is most important for catchers who get balls thrown at their heads, chest, hands, and shins) but we play a safe game.

The rules are more than halfway there in my sports memory bank, but I am still learning. Playing softball made me appreciate watching baseball a lot more. Today, I finally was trusted to tagging out the other team at home plate 3 times. We weren't able to score enough runs to beat the opponents, but I received compliments about my catching I've never gotten before.

I am going to keep learning and getting better... there's nothing that I can't do if I don't try.

<3/4>

No comments:

Post a Comment