Friday, April 30, 2010

Yes, I Have a Crush On Your Husband.


I was sitting at a bus stop at 10 minutes til midnight and I found how funny it was to be amused at the sight of an ant working really hard to carry a piece of sand-rock twice the size of his body.  It looked like it was trying with all of its might to carry it somewhere, but instead its little legs were so fast and the rock was so anchored that it ended up moving around the prize in a circle.  I sat here, leaning over to watch the ground and at all of the little ants doing their thing.  Then, as my attention diverted to the bus arriving, another ant came upon the other in a battle of this reward.  Two fierce ants fought over this one piece of of rock, probably mistaken for a food crumb, and they appeared as dancers, circling around it.

I swear, this was like a moment of joy and amusement, like the kind that you get when you watch a dog chase its own tail.

Out here I've had plenty of those moments, those I can only enjoy by myself, and those that I hope to recall someday to tell others when I want to.  I'm not a very good storyteller, and for some reason I cannot remember details well enough to explain them to others, but I hope that one day I can.  This part of deployment has been rough.  I don't have many close friends to talk to, no spouse like most have, no one in particular to listen... so my stories from day-to-day just bounce along the small conversations of people passing through.  In a word, nomadic.  Strange to hear that its been like that for me in the past few weeks, but that's how its been.  How do I change this? I need somebody.

No comments:

Post a Comment