Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Fun in the sun? ...Where is it?

Well, as I type this, I am currently waiting for 6:30 to roll around so I can grab some Thai cuisine before I end up passing out. I don't intend to pass out, however, so I plan to mitigate that with alcohol to make me happy-go-lucky.

This Key West det was not what I was expecting, but then again I didn't have any high expectations coming into this thing. My class flew as a group of observers on Sunday and we were put to work on the 3rd cycle the following day. "Lucky" for me, I had a female instructor. Not a very good for the first radar nav flight, but that's what flight school is about--we keep learning from our mistakes. The det was supposed to move our flight ops down south-er for good weather. But by the time we rolled around, the weather that was supposed to hit Pensacola ended up hitting the southern tip of the Florida peninsula. So whatever we were trying to escape wasn't really escapable. I just think we moved down here to spend money on jet skiing in the winter and getting tan (at least for those first-week guys). We are also doing a K-court tomorrow night which is like a dining-in, but more grown-up I suppose...

I am actually feeling a little homesick... Valentines' Day is tomorrow which really doesn't mean anything to me (its purely commercial) but I also kind of miss my kitty. I'm sure the guys down here are hurting because they are missing their wives for the holiday... and its another taste of military life. Plus Erin and Tom are in town! I wonder how they are doing as they pass through the city towards the great city of Jacksonville.

Just heard of the Prowler crash off the coast of Guam the other day... and this is why we practice these non-standard ops, these contingencies, these emergency procedures, these briefs... day in and day out...

No comments:

Post a Comment