Friday, January 01, 2010

Beginning (or End?) of a Decade

Bringing in the new year with a Montecristo cigar, Cup 'O Noodles, and "chardonnay" cider... and calls to the east coast (despite the fact they were 8 hours from midnight) was completely different from last year's celebration, of which I spent with my one and only baby sister on the streets and clubs of downtown D.C., uncomfortably surrounded by what looked to be the city's own Asian mafias... from a large social celebration to a peaceful private celebration in my room...

I really don't want to feel down in the dumps, and I don't, but every time a major shift happens such as a new year, graduation, or marriage, its hard not to think about the fact that I always manage to go stag to every celebration.  Plus, being deployed is a totally different way to be separated... All these guys are new people, I am not attached; people I know from high school are mostly married and parenting (or expecting;) its just such a dynamic thing to hear about every single update when I check FB -- if it wasn't for Skype, I wouldn't be able to call or video chat with my parents as much as I had originally anticipated.

No need to get worried, folks.  I'm just thinking again... and you know what happens when people think--things get said, or things happen.  Well, something like five months left... time went by fast, but still 150 more days left?! I really have to commit to this "reading books" thing I was going to do while I was out here, not burning my eyes into the screen of the computer watching movies.

Felice Anno Nuovo

No comments:

Post a Comment