Sunday, January 24, 2010

Blow the candles out!

Never in my wildest dreams did I think I was going to spend a birthday in a war-torn country, but God works miracles, doesn't he?  Even though I would have been celebrating it somewhere in downtown Seattle clubbing and drinking it up, (probably doing something I would regret later after seeing the photo on Facebook) it definitely wasn't bad here.  

The lead up to my birthday (although quiet) started off with making smores and listening to a marine sing crazy stories on the guitar...

Woke up and wrote the schedule, went to softball and played the actual Base Command Group Team.  They didn't have 18 players show up like we did, so they weren't able to sub in when they wanted to... beat them 9-6.  Asked to do a rematch and kicked their butts 23-0 (and I finally scored two runs on this team).  'Bush league' of us, Chief called it.

Almost spoiled a surprise, but I got a funny card from Puddy (we go back to the FRS) with what used to be a valentines day card--its all they sell here on this side of the airfield--and a bag full of candy.  As if I need more.  Such thoughtful people.  Pecker said he was even gonna give me a card too... quite possibly a cake!

Doc picked me up and I got to ride the ambulance for the first time.  I lit up the sirens as soon as we were free from most of the hangars and honked the horn before we turned into the Turkish restaurant.  I enjoyed the aromatic preview of the food we were taking to the movie.  Indulged in my 10 minutes of European MTV and headed to the theater to watch Avatar.

Got to the theater and ate half our chicken kabobs outside the door and saw the movie man run upstairs with the VHS of Avatar.  We experienced an hour of technical difficulties (and opening credits of Super Troopers) before they realized the VCR needed to be swapped out.  But it was ok because Muffs joined us and we spent the whole hour gossiping and venting.  Quality girl time, yes?

Before hittin the sack, I watched the last half of the Colts vs Jets game and enjoyed my cup of tea. 

It wasn't until I called my sister and started breaking down that I realized I was really missing family then and there.  I get a hot feeling in my face and my tears start rolling before I figure out that I need to hang up...

It is now WAY past my bedtime, and I'm going to start the grind up tomorrow once again.  Now that I got that "Quarter of a Century" out of the way... I had better be 25% more productive tomorrow.  Or rather... today.

Til the next...

No comments:

Post a Comment