Monday, August 06, 2007

Instrument Flight One

After much waiting around after the simulator events...

Waiting to be put on the schedule for a flight...

I finally get scheduled for a Monday 2 weeks before graduation!

And let me tell you, I was having mini-anxiety attacks yesterday, I was praying at church hoping that my brain could recall all the little things I learned from the way back when... I didn't have anything in my stomach this morning but a lowly bowl of oatmeal so I wasn't concentrating well... I even double briefed with Mount who was doing his Contacts checkride, so it gave me some time to gather myself together, but also become even more freaked out because I did that checkride about 5 weeks ago and half the figures and altitudes for patterns I wasn't remembering. Granted, it was VFR nav, but I was just beating myself up I guess...

The flight went well though, I just need more refinement in a few areas. I did backup my weaknesses with some strong strengths... apparently I have good SA techniques that some students don't display within the first flight.

1LT Gogel does a good job in creating passion for something you may or may not be interested in, but convincingly switch your interests towards something else. I was all set on going P-3s, and to be honest, all I've heard from people were the benefits. You get per diem, you are land based and off a carrier, you have the chance to be a mission commander and actually make decisions that matter, you "hunt" subs, and on a crew of 10-11 people.

Then there's the jet side. He was talking Prowlers in particular. I have to admit, when I first think aviation, I don't think of the monstrosity that the Orion exhibits. I think TOP GUN. Although I have no real motivation to do Hornets, I was attracted to the thought of Prowlers.

So with less than 2 weeks remaining until PGrad, I already have a preference sheet turned in for P-3s... they say the likelihood to get it is in my favor, and with that decision also comes with a PCS move in holding. So what will it be? I really need to talk to more salespeople, more like Justin.

I just hope I can come up with a decision... FAST.

No comments:

Post a Comment